There are few credit cards out there that combine a great signup bonus with a very solid rewards program.
The Chase Freedom® card does just that, and is, as a result, one of the most sought after credit cards out there. Follow along in our Chase Freedom card review.
Features of the Chase Freedom Credit Card
Here is a quick rundown of the card:
- Earn $100 Bonus Cash Back after you make $500 in purchases in your first 3 months
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- 5% Cash Back on up to $1,500 spent between Oct 1 and Dec 31, 2012 at hotels, airlines (on rooms and tickets purchased directly with the hotel/airline), Best Buy® and Kohl’s®
- You’ll enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like gas stations, restaurants and more. It’s free and easy to activate your bonus each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% Cash Back on all other purchases
- Up to an additional 10% Cash Back when you shop online at select merchants through Chase.
Chase Freedom comes with a generous rewards program that includes 5% cash back on rotating categories throughout the year. Right now you earn 5% at hotels, airlines, Best Buy and Kohl’s (on up to $1,500 in spending). This is great for the upcoming holiday season!
On purchases that aren’t in the categories, you receive 1% cash back. This is still a fairly solid offering. The only catch is that you can only earn up to $1,500 per quarter on your 5% cash back purchases. That’s still not bad, since very few consumers are likely to get to the point where they are earning $1,500 cash back. And remember that’s per quarter. On 1% cash back purchases, there are no spending tiers and no caps.
The best strategy with the Chase Freedom card is to pay attention to which categories are highlighted each quarter. Chase lets you know ahead of time, so you can plan your purchases accordingly. This makes it easy to maximize your cash back throughout the year. Make sure you activate your bonus each quarter (easy to do).
Cash Back Bonus
Right now Chase is offering a $100 cash back bonus after you make $500 in purchases in your first three (3) months. That’s a nice little bonus that is pretty easy to achieve in three months.
0% APR on Purchases and Transfers
The Chase Freedom is offering up a great introductory APR rate – 0% for 15 months on both purchases and balance transfers.
If you know you have a big purchase coming up you can use your Chase Freedom card and have over a year to pay it off without interest charges. Also, if you are carrying a balance on another card, transferring it to Chase Freedom gives you 15 months to pay it off. This way you can attack the principle balance without worrying about interest building up. Keep in mind there is a 3% balance transfer fee of the amount being transferred with a minimum of $5.
Other features of the Chase Freedom credit card include:
- 10% cash back on certain merchants: If you shop through Chase online, you can earn up to 10% cash back on certain purchases from preferred merchants.
- Use Blueprint: Chase Freedom comes with the Blueprint feature without cost. This helps you target your pay down, as well as choose certain categories to pay in full each month so you don’t owe interest. Your best option, though, is to avoid carrying a balance. Your interest fees could easily offset your cash back if you aren’t careful about how you spend.
- No annual fee: All of this comes with no annual fee. As a result, Chase Freedom is one of the best cash back credit cards.
As always, you can expect fraud liability protection, and you can also check into price protection, extended warranty, and certain types of travel insurance. Check your cardmember benefits for more information about what is offered with the Chase Freedom credit card.
Most of the credit cards that offer more generous cash back rewards programs are premium cards that come with annual fees. The Chase Freedom credit card is one of the most generous cards that doesn’t come with an annual fee.
It’s easy to use, and it’s very easy to maximize your cash back.
However, you need to have good credit if you expect to qualify for this credit card. Making the Chase Freedom an integral part of your budget can benefit you a great deal as you spend smart, and take advantage of the generous cash back rewards programs.